I don’t have my own garden yet, but I yearn for one. Like, majorly.

Goats Cheese + Honey Beets // Warm Vanilla Sugar

I mean, fresh beets? I’m all over them. I’m cool with fresh beans, carrots, and zucchini too, but at least they still taste good in the grocery store.

Goats Cheese + Honey Beets // Warm Vanilla Sugar

You see, grocery store beets are not my friend. They taste like dirt. And…well, I don’t like to eat too much dirt. Am I crazy?

Goats Cheese + Honey Beets // Warm Vanilla Sugar

These beets were grown in my (soon to be) father in law’s garden, and were absolutely perfect. We made a variety of roasted beet salads with them, hummus, and even cake, but my absolute favorite way to eat beets is this recipe right here – simple and gorgeous boiled beets, goats cheese, and a drizzle of honey.

DSC_0070

This recipe is supposed to serve two, but I straight up ate six beets for dinner with no regrets….and then my pee turned red (sorry).

Goats Cheese + Honey Beets // Warm Vanilla Sugar

I hope everyone had a great weekend! Considering that I just started school, mine was really relaxing! WOOT!

Goat Cheese and Honey Beets

Serving Size: 2

• 6 medium beets
  • 1-2 oz goats cheese, crumbled
  • Drizzle of honey
  • Sea salt and pepper, to taste
  • A sprinkle of crushed pecans

1. In a large pot of salted boiling water, add the beets (skins and all), and boil until a fork can go in easily (about 20-30 minutes). Drain the water, add some cold water back into the pot and with your hands, gently rub the skin off of each beet. It will come right off!
  2. Cut your beets into wedges and add them to a bowl. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the beets. Crumble some goats cheese on top, drizzle some honey, and some crushed pecans. Serve.

A Warm Vanilla Sugar Original

23 Responses to Goat Cheese and Honey Beets

This sounds delicious with the goat cheese and honey! Over the last few months I’ve started to really like beets … I’ll have to give this a try!

So maybe my problem with beets is that I’ve never had really really fresh ones! Which sounds so much nicer than “I just don’t like them” lol. Though I feel like if I smeared them with goat cheese, I would like them no matter what.

3. Katrina,
    Great post, but I’m a bit biased, being a beet lover from my boyhood days on the farm when my mom would pickle them from our garden and we would enjoy throughout the year. I love the goat cheese addition you posted, the combination with beets is soooo choice! Thanks for putting this one up!

4. I agree that some beets taste like dirt hehe, but anything with goat cheese automatically gets a thumbs up from me so I would like to try this!

5. This is one of my fave ways to eat beets, too! And then my fingers turn red from peeling them, not to mention the red peeing as well, lol. Totally worth it.

6. I totally agree about the grocery store beets. I think people who say they don’t like beets have never had really fresh ones, and of course, goat cheese makes everything better!

7. Oooh, now I wanna grow my own beets! Their my husbands fave veggie. Maybe once we move into our house I can attempt a garden 🙂 This looks so creamy and delicious!

8. I am a firm lover of beets and goat cheese so this? This sounds like magic to my mouth. 🙂

9. I have to get homegrown beets soon, I hate the stuff at the grocery! This salad looks so simple, yet delicious! Love the goat cheese & honey combo!

10. There’s something about beet and goat cheese, feels like match made in heaven. Looks delicious.

11. Dana says:

My husband thinks beets that come from my garden taste like dirt, too. That’s ok-more for me. I make a similar recipe but top them with feta.

12. I hear you on this. I totally want my own garden as well but it never seems to work out for me. Either way, I think if I had fresh beets, I might eat them more often. I’ve only tried beets once and they were, as you said, very dirt-like. However, topped with goat cheese? I think I can deal. 🙂

13. This looks gorgeous! My husband would devour it!

14. This looks awesome, I love cooked beets and goat cheese!!

I don’t like beets, but maybe that’s because I’ve always bought them from the grocery store. These look AMAZING! Thank you for sharing with us!

16. Love the color of beet. Must have tasted divine.

17. Lindsey (Cafe Johnsonia) says:

Oh, beets. I’m still trying to love them, but every time I have them with goat cheese, it helps. And I like what you’ve done here. No greens, just the goodies. 🙂

18. It’s the dirt taste that makes me not love beets, sounds like I need to grow my own!

19. I’ve got cheese and beets and haven’t thought of mixing all together. Great idea, I’m going to try this combo out in a few mins!

20. Heather says:

Simple is best when it comes to beet- I love mine roasted! Totally in love with the drizzle of honey.

21. I tried this recipe last night with fresh and grocery store beets…. you are right, grocery store beets = dirt. Great recipe!!

22. Laura Vieira says:

Oooo add some red onions and a twist of lime! this is a great side dish or main meal. Love it!