Before pumpkin stuff starts blowing up your computer screen (and maybe it has already) I thought I would share a little salad I made recently with some fabulous farmers market grape tomatoes.

Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella // Warm Vanilla Sugar

And since it’s September, I figured I’d turn on the oven and make something that wasn’t too far away from a summer meal, but that was comforting with every bite.

pan

This salad has roasted grape tomatoes, homemade croutons, fresh mozzarella, avocado, fresh basil, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. I ate it for dinner with a big glass of Merlot and watched the latest episode of Breaking Bad…no dessert needed!

Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella // Warm Vanilla Sugar

Have a fabulous weekend everyone. xoxo

Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella

Serving Size: 2-4 (2 if it's your main meal)

For Balsamic Glaze:
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • For Salad:
  • 1 1/2 pints grape tomatoes
  • 2/3 whole wheat baguette, cut into cubes
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh mozzarella balls (I used cocktail bocconcini)
  • 1/2 avocado, sliced
  • 10-15 fresh basil leaves
  • drizzle of balsamic glaze

1. To make balsamic glaze, add balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until liquid reduces by about half and is slightly syrupy. Remove from heat, pour vinegar in a bowl or glass to pour, and let sit.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On one baking sheet, lay the tomatoes down and drizzle with some olive oil until coated, and salt & pepper to your taste. On a separate baking sheet, place the cubed bread and toss it with olive oil until it gets on all the bread. Place both sheets in the oven.
  3. Roast the tomatoes for a full 20 minutes, tossing once during cooking. Toast the bread for 10 minutes, until golden, tossing half way during cooking.
  4. Place mozzarella on a paper towel to remove the moisture and water. Chop basil leaves.
  5. In a large bowl, add bread, tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and salt and pepper. Gently toss, trying to keep the tomatoes intact (you want them pretty)!
  6. Drizzle a liberal amount of balsamic glaze and top with sliced avocado. Serve immediately.

Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is

35 Responses to Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella

1. I’m not so sure about the statement ‘no dessert needed…’ What’s that like? 😉

I love this salad!

2. What a great looking dish! I’ve actually have yet to try out roasted grape tomatoes, but I bet they taste amazing. Totally pinning this one!

3. Just found your blog and that recipe makes me think we should be friends. That kind of salad with a big ol’ glass of wine is my absolute favorite!! I just started season 5 of Breaking Bad too, it’s so good!

4. Katrina,
    This looks wonderful! I’m trusting you are back in Ottawa and settling into an autumn routine, this looks like the perfect start! Thanks for sharing!!

5. Oh, I absolutely MUST get around to making this before the seasons (officially) change.

6. Heather says:

YES. I love seeing all of these beautiful panzanella recipes. This salad is all of my favorite foods rolled up into a meal. Love.

7. Sounds like a beautiful evening. The salad looks mighty good.

8. This dish here is everything I need in life… It looks amazing. And you’re right, just summery enough to still pass but comforting enough to make me feel good about fall. 🙂

This sounds delicious! I love that there is avocado in here too – my favorite!

10. This looks amazing! I’m definitely not ready to let summer go yet… so you bet I’ll be making this soon!
    You too have a nice weekend 🙂

11. I am really liking all of the great flavours in this!

12. Jaclyn says:

This looks absolutely delicious. And it sounds perfect with a glass of wine! This may need to be my friday night dinner.

13. I love a recipe that comes together quick, but tastes amazing. I love all the flavors you have in here!

14. This, Breaking Bad, and a big fat glass of Merlot- I cannot think of a better Sunday evening!

15. I don’t know why I’ve never made panzella before, I love caprese. Great recipe.

This is a lovely panzanella. A great way to celebrate the end of summer (although it feels like the middle of summer here in Colorado…we’re still in the upper 80s!) Thank you for sharing!

17. Roasting the tomatoes is genius! So much deliciousness going on here!

18. Gotta celebrate the last of summer tomatoes before inevitable pumpkin explosion! Thank you for this—what a beautiful panzanella.

Roasted tomatoes must make caprese all the more delicious! I love how you’re still holding onto summer…I’m so sad it’s going to be gone soon!

20. A perfect end of summer salad, this one looks great! I love the roasted tomatoes.

21. Yum, love that you roasted the tomatoes! It makes them so much sweeter. This salad looks really good!

22. Love the roast tomatoes, they must get super juicy and add to the dressing – delicious!

23. Whoa, this looks delicious. Totally my kind of meal!

24. ALL my favorites in this salad, and after a week of 90+ weather in LA it blows pumpkin out of the water!

25. Monika says:

This salad looks absolutely perfect! Roasted tomatoes are great idea, thanks for the recipe.

26. This sounds so tasty! And I love how bright and fresh it all is, a perfect way to use all the last tasty tomatoes of summer 🙂

27. Oh my, this looks phenomenal! Gimme anything with the word ‘caprese’ in it and I’m ALL over it. Pinned!

28. Jaclyn says:

I love anything that’s caprese and this looks awesome! I love that it has avocado in it, yum!

29. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Mouth watering! This is the perfect kind of salad, the ingredients look lovely 🙂

30. Heather says:

Addicted to Panzanella & Breaking Bad- i think we could be best friends in real life 🙂