Being a December baby in public school usually gives parents two choices. 1. Enroll your 3-year-old in kindergarten with other kids born during the same year, or 2. Wait until the following year when your kid turns 4.

Slide1

My Momma went with the first option, which means little 3-year-old Katrina was taking on school and never looking back. Seriously. I’m currently 25 (turning 26 in December) and have been in school since I was 3. Meaning, that when I graduate next April, I’ll have been in school for 24 years.

(photo below was not my first day of school outfit…although it should have been)

kat

Growing up, no one tells you about those weird years between 17 and 25. It’s pretty much eight years of questioning yourself and making decisions. What University are you going to go to? What will your major be? Are you going to get a Masters degree? Is it too early to start a career? Do you want to travel more? Do you even like what you’re doing?

Well, I’ve gone through all of these questions, have one year left of school, and then need to find myself a job. And you know? Even though it’s too early to look for one, it’s nice to know that I made it through so many years of questions…until the new ones start, but we’re not there yet.

I’ve heard from a lot of people that your twenties are about finding yourself, your thirties are about getting to know yourself, and your forties are about owning who you are. And I like that. I like knowing that at one stage in my life I’ll finally be able to say “I don’t like big parties, so I’m not going”…but I’m not there yet. I’m still at the stage where I think I might like big parties because I did when I was 17-20. I’m weird.

Anyway, here we are in September, and somehow August passed us by in a flurry again. I spent August mostly doing wedding related activities on weekends, but it’s a good excuse to wear a cute dress and drink booze out of a mason jar. Otherwise, I sat down and MOTORED through Girls season 2, Mad Men seasons 3-5, and am DYING waiting for the next episode of Breaking Bad (my favorite show of life).

Otherwise, I cooked and baked a LOT, ran, and tried to spend as much time with P- as I could. My favorite recipe that I made was my Toasted Coconut Banana Cream Pie. It has a traditional banana cream pie filling with toasted coconut, whipped cream, and chocolate shavings. It made everything right in my world.

Banana Coconut Cream Pie

I also made a lot of stuff from other food bloggers in August. You NEED to make:
Snickers Brownies by My Baking Addiction
Cornmeal and Chive Waffles with Salsa and Eggs by Joy the Baker
Sea Salt Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies by Two Peas and Their Pod
Tortellini Mac & Cheese by Top with Cinnamon
Porobello Pesto Pizza by Brown Eyed Baker
Carrot Cake Bread by A Cozy Kitchen
Apple Crisp by Sippity Sup
German Apple Pancakes by Love and Olive Oil
Grilled Mascarpone and Roasted Jalapeno Pistachio Pesto Cheese Sandwich by Bev Cooks

OH! And I found a new blog, which makes me sooo happy! Check out What Should I Eat for Breakfast Today? for her stunning photos and AMAZING looking recipes. I’m super pumped I found this site. I mean, Cheese and Herb Cornbread with Scrambled Eggs? I die.

Other August Stuff?
Books:
I just finished reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I can genuinely say that I have never been so affected by a teen book in my life. It had me (ugly) crying in my room last night and staying up until 2am to finish it. Have you read it??

Hope everyone has a fabulous September! I’m off to school! xoxo

31 Responses to August Things

1. That’s kind of the good thing about getting older (I’ll never admit it but being almost 30 is kind of nice). You are past that awkward, unsure stage of adulthood. However, I still think I need my mommy most of the time so I guess I can’t really comment. 😉

haha I am totally loving that picture of you as a kid : ) I always crack up when I look through old photos that my mom has … some of the outfits are so funny! Both for the kids and adults!

3. Oh my goodness, that banana cream pie looks SO good. And I’m glad you shared all the links of stuff you made – off to check those recipes out!

4. Jenny @ BAKE says:

I love What Should I Eat For Breakfast Today? the photos are just stunning! I can’t believe it’s September already!

5. I’m all about all-things-August! The toasted coconut banana cream pie in particular will probably keep me up nights, until I make one and have a slice or two for myself. Great stuff, Katrina, thanks for sharing!!

6. Good luck on your last year of school EVER (hopefully!) and on finding a job after graduating. It’s pretty exciting to be getting out into the workplace after being in school so long. Also, you were a seriously adorable kid 🙂

7. laurasmess says:

Wow. What a busy month! Sounds like you ate, drank and done lots of amazing things though, which is always good! Love your childhood outfit. I think it should be compulsory for adults to wear weird costumes for at least one day every year, to revisit that spirit of imagination and freedom. Uh, yes. There’s my contribution for the day! Anyway, re education: I graduated from uni at the age of 24 which seemed like a reeeeally long time. I changed degrees 3 times before I just wanted to escape and earn money! I definitely agree that it takes a long time to truly know yourself, what you like, what you don’t like, and to OWN those opinions unwaveringly. I only felt like I almost knew myself at about the age of 27 (I’m 29 now. Old, I know!) and the journey is still continuing. It’s definitely a major achievement to be where you’re at in life. It’s exciting to leave school and to go from student to ‘professional’ (slightly scary, too!). You’ve got awesome times ahead of you! xx

This was such a nice comment to read! Getting older and figuring life out is such a strange and amazing ride. Thanks so much for your input friend. And 29 isn’t old!! You’re still hot stuff! lol

8. Carmen says:

The fault in our starts is THE BEST BOOK EVER! it had me crying too.
    And “My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations” just sums it up for me sometimes. It is now my favorite quote ever.

9. sippitysup says:

If your forties are about owning who you, then I wonder what the fifties (which for me are fast approaching) are about. I think it will be a time to explore paths not taken with the confidence of already knowing who you are. I’ll let you know. GREG

It sounds like August was a good and delicious month. But I must agree, it flew by! And I just loved seeing that childhood photo of you. So cute! Thank you for sharing!!

11. Holy crap, that Toasted Coconut Banana Cream Pie looks amazing!! xo

12. Sues says:

Oh man, that pie looks so good! Sounds like a great August!!

13. Hey, I have that outfit!! Looks like I’m stylish after all 😛

Lovely post Katrina. You have such a great way of organizing your thoughts. Best of luck to you the rest of the year. Every week I always look forward to reading your site, so thank you for all your hard work.

14. Wow, that banana cream pie looks phenomenal! Pinning!

15. I’m sorry, but WHERE did the summer go?! Thanks for all the recipe recommendations, too! I’ve got to hop back on the train… I’ve been feeling strangely uninspired lately!

16. That photo?? I’m dying!! 🙂 Also, I need that pie. Seriously – need.

17. Robyn says:

The Fault in Our Stars was AMAZING! I, too, ugly cried my face off, and on public transit no less. I’m excited for the movie!

18. Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste says:

What a lineup of August recipes! Can’t wait to try so many of those!

Well I think I can firmly say I don’t like bars OR big parties. Even though I’m not in my 30s yet. But maybe I’m weird?

Here’s to your last year EVER of school!!

20. That’s the cutest little kid picture ever!! Also, I had no idea parents had the choice when to send their children to school. I guess I just never thought about it..

21. Monica says:

What a lovely post. I just love that pic of you as a 3-yr old and the fact that you shared it with us! : ) Good luck with the final school year – very exciting and makes you think, doesn’t it. I agree with about the different decades though I can only speak about the 20’s and 30’s. I just find that as you get older, you know yourself better, have more confidence, and learn to be more honest and say ‘no’ when necessary.

22. Heather says:

What an epic picture, it totally should have been your first day of school outfit!

My oh my that banana cream pie looks ah-mazing- *drool*