Happy August 1st! It’s hard to believe that we’re only weeks away from the first day of school, fall sweaters, and changing leaves. Isn’t this summer flying by??

july

Today is my grandparents wedding anniversary. These two lovely people taught me how to set the table, drive a car, and shoot a shotgun!! I’m so blessed to have them in my life.

nan and pop

It’s also my baby sisters birthday…who’s totally not a baby anymore (she’s 18 #OMFG) and I’m sad to be missing her big celebration. Apparently the entire family is four wheeling, eating confetti cake, and going swimming. Uhhh…at least I’m watching Orange is the New Black tonight!!

Omg, speaking of TV, there are so many good shows that are about to come back on. Homeland season 3, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead….SQUEE! What are you guys looking forward to in the fall??

July went quick, but I did manage to have some “me time” by cooking, baking, running and general randomness. My favorite recipe that I made was my Quinoa Granola. It may sound plain jane, but this is hands down the best granola I’ve ever had. Give it a try!

Quinoa Granola // Warm Vanilla Sugar

I also made a bunch of awesome stuff from other food bloggers. Check out:
Pesto Portabello Burgers by A Couple Cooks
Coconut Green Curry Lentils by Pinch of Yum
Peach and Pecan Sandy Crumble by Smitten Kitchen
Spiced Black Bean Grilled Avocado and Goats Cheese Tacos by Naturally Ella
White Bean and Garlic Scape Dip by Brown Eyed Baker
Blueberry Lemon Pancakes by Pastry Affair
Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Zucchini, and Feta by The Pioneer Woman
Egg Salad Sandwich by Foodie Crush
Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella by How Sweet It Is
Triple Berry Mojitos by How Sweet It Is

OH! And I found a new blog, which makes me sooo happy! Check out Honest Fare for her stunning photos and AMAZING looking recipes. I’m super pumped I found this site. I mean, sweet corn strawberry swirl ice cream?? Puu–leeaaase!

Other July Stuff?
Books:
I’m still reading The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean, for the Adventures in Literature book club. It’s fascinating!

Podcasts:
Fame Fatale is currently filling my ears. Leslie answers all kinds of “behind the scenes” questions about Hollywood. The latest show was all about how celebrities stay thin and get ready for a photoshoot or awards ceremony…super interesting!

Hope everyone has a fabulous August! xoxo

19 Responses to July Things

1. Linda says:

Be proud you have your grandparents. I only knew one and he died when I was 17.

2. Your grandparents are adorable. I’ve lost all of mine now, but I was blessed to have them for many years. I am so excited for Homeland to start! It’s my favorite show. Right now I’ve gotten into Ray Donovan on Showtime. Awesome cast and great storyline and characters! I highly recommend it, but it isn’t Homeland! Have a great weekend!

3. laurasmess says:

What a wonderful recap of the month. I love that photo of your grandparents, such a beautiful couple. Do you know how many years they’ve been married? I met a couple who tied the knot 69 years ago last week. SIXTY NINE YEARS! Amazing. That’s almost three times the years I’ve been on the planet! I love the look of your granola. One can never have too many great granola recipes! Happy August xx

Thanks! My Grandparents have been married for 49 years (and together for 55)! They’re so sweet and I’m so lucky to have them in my life. I hope you have a happy August too!

Happy wedding anniversary to your grandparents and birthday to your sister! I have one set of grandparents that are still alive and are so thankful they are still here – and I’m visiting them this weekend : ) July flew by for me too – time needs to slow down a little!

5. Jaclyn says:

Aw =) happy anniversary to your grandparents…those long lasting relationships are so heart warming and inspiring to me.

6. Your grandparents are sweet. I miss mine. I agree with Jaclyn’s comment, absolutely inspiring

7. The summer is totally flying! Happy anniversary to your grandparents, how lovely! Enjoy your weekend.

I have officially become kind of Orange is the New Black OBSESSED myself!! Happy anniversary to your grandparents and birthday to your sister!!

9. Your reaction to your little sis is hilarious–I’m the youngest and I think my sisters have a heart attack each year I get older. Your g-parents are adorable. Also, thanks for the awesome links!! I also love Honest Fare ;)

10. Thanks for all the links to some amazing recipes! And happy anniversary to your grandparents!

11. Sues says:

Such a beautiful photo of your granola! It sounds like you’ve been busy in the kitchen :)

12. I can’t believe it’s August either, kinda crazy, right? Here’s to another August week.. have a good one! :)

13. sippitysup says:

Rock on Grandma and Grandpa and congrats. GREG

14. i am not liking how summer is going by so quick-although this heat in Dallas is unbearable. thanks for recipe collection.

15. What a great post and mention of your wonderful family. Sounds like many blessings are yours!

16. Katrina, looks like you are fully enjoying summer, and good for you for appreciating your grandparents. They are treasures, aren’t they?
    xo
    E

17. What a precious picture of your grandparents! I know you enjoy having them in your lives – grandparents are truly special!!!