As a lady who likes to go for trail runs and be outside, I haven’t been hiking once this summer.
To be fair, it is the summer of weddings, which keeps me busy, but hiking in the mountains is my jam. It’s what the boy and I (like to think) we do in our free time.
Also, at the beginning of the summer it rained and rained and rained, not really allowing us to lace up our hiking books, but this weekend we are going!!
On Saturday morning we’re going to hike around Montpellier, Vermont, to check out some of the mountains around there and do some primitive camping (which I recently found out is simply camping in a non-camping site). Exciting!
With the hot weather, we’re going to pack a cold lunch – salad, panini’s, and some fruit skewers for the car ride. This salad is absolutely perfect to beat the heat. It’s whole wheat rotini mixed with baby spinach, sundried tomatoes, fresh parmesan, and a simple, light dressing. Great when it’s too hot out AND for your waistline!!
What are you guys doing this weekend? Have a great one! xo
Whole wheat rotini pasta mixed with baby spinach, sundried tomatoes, fresh parmesan, and a simple, light dressing. Great to beat the summer heat and to help keep that summer bod you've been working so hard on!
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 1/4 cups dry whole wheat pasta (I used rotini)
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 4 sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, sliced thin
- 4 tbsp freshly shaved Parmesan (or the grated stuff you used earlier)
- Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions. When done, drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, grated parmesan and salt and pepper. Add the sundried tomatoes, cooled pasta, and spinach. Toss well then just before serving top with fresh shaved Parmesan.
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste