Two breakfast posts in one week is intentional. It’s intentional because you, yes YOU (Hi friend!), should be eating breakfast. It’s good for you, it’s versatile, and really freaking tasty.
This oatmeal happened when I was mailed two mini one-tablespoon packages of Nutella. First of all, awesome, and second of all, two small tablespoons is perfect for a recipe like this.
I kind of feel like it’s my birthday when I eat this. It’s SO creamy and one heck of a pretty bowl of oats. Isn’t strawberry season the best??
To make this, you just need to toast your oats, stirring them occasionally, until golden and fragrant, and add them to your simmering water and milk. The actual cooking process only takes 10 minutes.
Once the oatmeal has been taken off the heat, let it stand for 10 more minutes and portion it into serving bowls. Top each bowl with 1 tablespoon of Nutella and swirl it into the oatmeal with a knife. Garnish each serving with a handful of sliced strawberries, and enjoy!
Have a great weekend everyone!!
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup low-fat milk (almond milk would be great too)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp Nutella (or other chocolate hazelnut spread)
- Fresh sliced strawberries
- Combine the water and milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the oats and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir the toasted oats into the simmering liquid. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently until the mixture is very thick, about 20 minutes. Stir in the salt and brown sugar. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the oatmeal is creamy, about 10 minutes more. Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Portion the oatmeal into serving bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon of Nutella and swirl gently into the oatmeal with a knife.
- Garnish each serving with a handful of sliced strawberries. Serve immediately.
-Recipe adapted from Annie's Eats
-To reheat, pop each serving in the microwave in short intervals, adding in splashes of milk until you get your desired texture.