It rained all weekend, which gave the boy and I the perfect excuse to watch the new season of Arrested Development on Netflix.

Strawberry Almond Scones // Warm Vanilla Sugar

We haven’t finished yet (12 episodes out of 15 in), but we freaking LOVE it so far!! So many great jokes already from this season…roofies, ferrile Jesus, face recognition disease, “I don’t want them”, sex offender, and so, so, many more. I’m kind of freaking out.

Strawberry Almond Scones // Warm Vanilla Sugar

If you’re not into Arrested Development, I get it! In fact, when I first started watching it I stepped away for a little while since I didn’t really know what on this sweet, heavenly, planet, was going on. BUT! I soon watched it again, fell in love, and like many others have been anxiously awaiting its return for seven years.

Strawberry Almond Scones // Warm Vanilla Sugar

On Sunday morning, with the rain beating the outside windows, P- and I curled up with a warm blanket, a coffee in hand, and two of these scones to start our day. These scones are magical. For reals…so, so, good!

Strawberry Almond Scones // Warm Vanilla Sugar

They have a delicious strawberry & buttermilk dough, an almond glaze, and are topped with toasted almonds to make them pretty. Right out of the oven these are the absolute best!

Strawberry Almond Scones // Warm Vanilla Sugar

They come together quite quickly. You’ll need to preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line two baking sheets. Then, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together both flours with sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the buttermilk until just incorporated.

DSC_0184

Gently fold in the sliced strawberries.

DSC_0186

Using an ice cream scoop or large cookie scoop, scoop the dough into 14 or 16 mounds on the prepared baking sheets.

Strawberry Almond Scones // Warm Vanilla Sugar

Brush the scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.

Strawberry Almond Scones // Warm Vanilla Sugar

Bake in your oven until the scones are golden and cooked through, remembering to rotate the pans (about 30 minutes). Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.

Strawberry Almond Scones // Warm Vanilla Sugar

While the scones are cooling, toast almonds until golden, and prepare the almond glaze.

DSC_0200

Drizzle the scones with the glaze, then top with the toasted almonds. Let dry for 10 minutes, then serve.

Strawberry Almond Scones // Warm Vanilla Sugar

• 2 tbsp turbinado or raw sugar
  • For Glaze:
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 3 tbsp buttermilk
  • 1/2 tsp pure almond extract

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together both flours with the granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry blender (or your fingers), cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the buttermilk until just incorporated, then gently fold in the sliced strawberries.
  3. Using an ice cream or large cookie scoop, scoop the dough into 14-16 mounds on the prepared baking sheets. Brush the scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
  4. Bake in the upper and lower thirds of the oven until the scones are golden and cooked through, rotating the pans from front to back and top to bottom halfway through baking. This should take about 20 to 30 minutes, but keep an eye on them as the berries have a tendency to burn. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Spread the almonds in a thin layer on a small baking sheet and toast for about 8 minutes, until just golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
  6. To prepare glaze, in a small bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar with the buttermilk, almond extract, and salt.
  7. Drizzle the scones with the glaze, then top with the almonds, pressing if necessary to adhere. Let dry for 10 minutes, then serve.

-recipe adapted from Love and Olive Oil via Food and Wine

-pastry flour is finer than regular flour and produces a lighter scone. If you don't have any, substitute all-purpose instead.

-these are best enjoyed the day they are made.

27 Responses to Strawberry Almond Scones

1. Nanny says:

These look sooooo good !!!! Got our new stove so hope I can operate it correctly .Where do I get the sugar you suggest?

Yay! You will definitely like these Nan! You don’t need to buy special sugar – just use the regular stuff :)

2. OMG…these scones look wonderful! My mouth is watering for one right now! :-)

Oh man, these scones sound absolutely amazing. I love pretty much anything with buttermilk but also with strawberries and almonds?? I wish I had one of these for breakfast this morning!

4. These look AMAZING!! I have some fresh strawberries in the fridge that I know just what to do with!!!

5. These scones look so amazing! I love that they have buttermilk in them, because everything is better with it. That glaze and those beautiful strawberries are just killing me!

6. These scones might have to be my next strawberry project! An almond glaze scone is such a great topper, too :)

7. Strawberries are one of those fruits that just seem to come alive when they’re cooked—they’re usually a little too sour for me when they’re raw. Love these.

8. These look so fresh and yummy! I love the Strawberries added in. You could also make a nice lemon butter for these, I think that would compliment this recipe nicely! I’ll have to give these a try!

9. Amanda says:

THESE look amazing!!! love them, trying them this weekend.

10. I bet these are delish!!! That glaze and the strawberries look divine!!!

11. Oh heavens, these look SO good!! It’s almost fresh strawberry season here in Nashville, so I know I’ll be making some scones myself with ‘em soon. And we just started the new Arrested Development season a few nights ago – can’t wait to watch some more!

12. What a great way to enjoy some strawberries!

13. Sues says:

Whoa these scones really do look magical! Seriously, I eat a lot of scones and these might be the prettiest I’ve ever seen!

14. These look SO good. Your weekend sounds perfect, so cozy! My husband loves arrested development too!

15. These look incredible! Love those big chunks of strawberries!

16. Oh my gosh, I want these scones to nosh on while I catch up with the Bluths. I am LOVING Tobias’ appearance on the To Entrap a Predator show. “Is there a little girl here all alone?!” HILARIOUSSS.

17. When you finish Arrested Development you are going to LOVE it. The last two episodes had me laughing so hard I had to keep rewinding because I was drowning out the dialogue! While you go watch those, I’m going to go make these scones….That glaze is irresistible!

18. I would sooo love to wake up to a batch of these beautiful, fruity glazed scones! They look delicious!

19. These are the prettiest little scones. Oh, that glaze! We haven’t dived into Arrested Development yet, but it’s on my TV to-do list.

20. Deborah says:

Ok, I’m really going to have to start watching Arrested Development. And I’m really going to have to make some of these scones!

21. Abby says:

wow. these look so delicious.
    absolute perfection!

I am already so behind on my new Arrested Development season watching and I totally blame the.boy’s baseball habit! Maybe I need to stuff these scones in his face to distract him. But then I’d have to share. Hmmm… #firstworldproblems

23. Amani says:

These look great!i bet your kitchen smelt amazing when these were baking!

24. Dina says:

these look so yummy!

25. Oh gosh, perfect ratio of strawberries and scone and that glaze….

26. Jaclyn says:

These look dreamy! I love the strawberry and almond combo!