I was originally going to write about how brownies shouldn’t be part of my marathon training schedule, but there is other marathon news. Sad news. That truly breaks my heart.
As I’m sure you know, 3 people died and over 140 people were wounded yesterday after two bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. This is something I never in a million years thought would happen. I mean, an explosion? At a marathon?
Marathons are supposed to be a place where people come together. A place where runners, non runners, locals, friends, and family, celebrate their love for one another with support, sweat, and warm hearts.
So, I’m forgetting about eating too many treats while training for right now. I’m having a big chocolate brownie and a tall glass of milk and sending all the love I can possibly send to those affected by yesterdays events.
Stay strong Boston!
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 tablespoons (½ cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil. Butter the foil; set aside.
- Whisk the flour, salt and baking powder together in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chocolate and butter in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted and smooth.
- Whisk in the sugar and vanilla extract after the mixture has cooled slightly. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each before adding the next. Continue whisking until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips and whisk until just incorporated.
- Make the cream cheese filling by beating the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk together in a small bowl until evenly blended.
- Pour half the brownie batter into the prepared pan, spreading it in an even layer. Drop half the cream cheese mixture, by spoonfuls, over the batter. Repeat, layering the remaining brownie batter and cream cheese filling.
- Use a butter knife to gently swirl the brownie batter and cream cheese filling, creating a marbled effect.
- Bake until the edges of the brownies have puffed-up slightly and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out with only a few moist, fudgy, crumbs adhering to it. Baking should take 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool the brownies in a pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove the brownies from the pan using the foil handles. Place the brownies on a wire rack; allow them to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours. Cut into squares and serve. The brownies can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Recipe taken from Brown Eyed Baker