Unfortunately, there are a few necessities in life that I just don’t know how to do.

DSC_0460

I don’t know how to change a flat tire or do an oil change on my car, I can’t sew buttons, and I have a lot of trouble keeping plants alive.

The boy and I always joke that we need to take some sort of “life skills” course. One that teaches us how to do basic car stuff, learn a bit about plumbing, or teach us how to be kick-ass gardeners.

DSC_0453

This week I left the headlights on while I went to the grocery store and when I came back the car battery had died. No biggie. I am a prepared woman and keep jumper cables in my trunk! Buuuuut this is where the basic life skills would be handy. Does black go on black? Or red? I felt super silly asking a man walking in the parking lot to give me a boost while handing him jumper cables and staring blankly while he set everything up. He even closed the hood of my car for me! I took note of how he did this though, and if it happens again *this girl* is totally ready.

DSC_0455

I’ve got a few things going for me though. I can cook! And figure out how to use up stuff before moving like putting peanut butter on my parsnips.

A while ago I noticed that Angela from Oh She Glows mentioned that these fries “changed her life”, and since my clothes are in a suitcase, my food is in cardboard boxes, and I don’t know how to use jumper cables, I thought I could use a life changing treat. And these are totally lovely! I will definitely be making them again. What a fun way to use parsnips!

DSC_0457

Have a great weekend everyone! xoxo

Mixed Nut Butter Crusted Parsnip Fries

Serving Size: 2-3

• 4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into thin strips
  • 4 tbsp nut butter (I used 2 tbsp peanut butter + 2 tbsp almond butter)
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Peel and cut parsnips into fry-like strips.
  3. In a medium size bowl, mix together the nut butters, olive oil, and salt.
  4. Take parsnips and toss in bowl with your hands until fully coated.
  5. Line up on baking pan and cook at 400F for 30-50 minutes until crisp (I cooked mine for 45 minutes).

Recipe lightly adapted from Oh She Glows

28 Responses to Mixed Nut Butter Crusted Parsnip Fries

1. I never would’ve thought of these, but they sound amazing! These are definitely going on the menu for next week — hopefully they change my life, too šŸ˜‰

2. I have never bought a parsnip, and now I can’t wait to buy one šŸ™‚

3. Mr. & Mrs. P says:

Humm… I sure they taste great with the nut butter. Really original!!!

4. Nanny says:

I’ve only cooked parsnips with carrots and mashed them together. Sooo guess what I’m making tomorrow night . Sounds great.
    Next time your up we have a date learning how to sew buttons on LOL. šŸ™‚

5. sandra says:

how unusual! I would never have thought of that combo. But life changing is a big thing, so I guess it is worth a try… and you need to tell us – who also do not know how to jump start a car, is it black on black, or what?

6. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes says:

These fries are a stroke of GENIUS! Love this idea!!

7. Tracey says:

Haha, I need a life skills course too! Though you’d be surprised at how many things you’re forced to learn when you own a house. I’ve picked up more “life skills” in the past 5 years than the 20 before… Anyway, I love parsnips and am always looking for new ways to make them. The fries sound awesome!

8. Jenny @ BAKE says:

These parsnips look great! I think I need a crash course in life skills too!

9. Heather says:

This is not something I have ever thought about doing, but what a great idea! I would love for you to share it at what i am eating http://www.townsend-house.com/2013/04/what-i-am-eating-homemade-coconut-milk.html

10. Yummy! I love the mix nut butter used in this recipe šŸ™‚

11. I never tried parsnip fries, in fact I don’t think I ever cooked that vegetable! šŸ™‚ But would love to try it as fries – sounds delicious!

12. Ting says:

Lovely, thanks for sharing šŸ™‚

Yeah seroiusly, there should be a class on all this stuff! I barely know how to pump gas. BARELY. I can sew buttons though so next time we’re together I’ll totally teach you!

These fries have been in the back of my mind for ages and I still haven’t made them! Thanks for the reminder love!

14. That sounds like an amazing combo, I have to try this!

15. Haha! You sound just like me… I can’t even sew a darn button, either! šŸ™‚ Good thing my hubs is pretty much the Jack of all trades and pretty much knows how to do anything. Of course, that just enables me to never figure out how to take care of myself! God forbid he dies before me!

These “fries” sound really good! I’m sure I can figure these out! šŸ™‚ And, hubs can’t cook…that’s the one thing I’m better at!

16. Parsnip fries…! Love this idea!!!

17. These look so yummy! Would never have thought to use peanut butter! Mmm definitely going to try these!

18. This actually sounds really good! I love peanut butter, and I bet the sweet, nutty parsnips are a surprisingly delicious combination.

19. Awesome idea, Katrina! These look so delicious and perfect for dunking in all kinds of dressings… or maybe a spicy ketchup?

20. Wow! These look so interesting. I would never think this up!

21. I saw these too and want to try them but am hesitant. Now that you tried them too maybe I actually will.

22. Aggie says:

Oh my gosh these sound amazing!!

23. Wow! I make baked parsnip fries all the time but have never added nut butter to them. That sounds amazing!
    Can’t wait to try it!
    P.S. just came across your blog. Enjoying it! šŸ™‚

24. Ashleigh says:

I so want to try this!! I love parsnip but have never had it in chip form, and with peanut butter, yuuummm.

25. Lovely idea! Two of my roommate’s favourite things are nut butter and parsnips… I never thought of combining the two like this, but I believe I will now šŸ™‚

26. Carole says:

Carole’s Chatter is collecting links using parsnip and/or pumpkin today. This is a nice one. I do hope you pop over and link in. This is the link . Cheers