The days are getting *cue Oprah voice* loooooongeeeeer!
It doesn’t seem like it today though, but I swear spring is coming. This week for the first time in a long time I gave the treadmill the finger and ran outside. Sure it was along an extremely busy street in Ottawa, and sure I had to wait for traffic lights, but I actually felt like I was moving! Such a triumph. I came home around dinner time without anything planned and decided to make something quick. I took out some refrigerated pie crust, caramelized some sweet onions, and threw some Gruyere cheese on top. Heaven, my friends!
All you need to do is preheat your oven to 425. In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, herbs, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook 8-12 minutes, or until tender. Reduce heat to low and cover; cook an additional 5-10 minutes, or until onions are browned and caramelized. *Swoon*. Stir occasionally while cooking.
Shape pie crust on a lightly floured surface by rolling out into a 12-inch circle. Do this on parchment paper to make the transfer to a baking sheet easier. Then transfer that beauty.
Brush with egg white, and sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over dough.
Top with onions, leaving a 2 1/2 inch border.
Sprinkle remaining cheese, and fold the pie crust over the edge of the onions, pleating as you go. Leave a 4-inch wide opening in the center. Brush crust with egg white.
Bake at 425 for 17-19 minutes, or until crust is golden-brown and cheese has melted.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yum!
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 large yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- A few cracks of fresh pepper
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1/2 recipe pie dough, or 1 refrigerated pie crust (I used Pilsbury)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (can sub Swiss cheese)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and stirring occasionally, cook for about 8-12 minutes, or until onions become slightly tender. Reduce heat to medium-low and add in thyme, sugar, salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Stir everything together and cook an additional 10 to 20 minutes, or until onions are browned and caramelized. Stir occasionally while cooking.
- On a sheet of parchment paper, shape pie crust by rolling it out into a 12-inch circle. Transfer crust and parchment paper over to a baking sheet.
- In the centre of the rolled out crust place the caramelized onions, leaving a 2-inch border. Sprinkle with Gruyere cheese, and fold the pie crust over the edge of the onions, pleating as you go. Leave a 4-inch wide opening in the center. Brush crust with egg white.
- Bake at 425 for 17-19 minutes, or until crust is golden-brown and cheese has melted.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.
Adapted from Pink Parsley