Ohhhh the cake. It had a toasted marshmallow frosting, a delightful spiced sweet potato based cake and cinnamon brown sugar buttercream. Everything was going splendidly until, seemingly out of nowhere, I broke my buttercream.
This will forever be entitled “My 25th: Broken Buttercream Birthday”. Now that’s just not pretty, but it WAS tasty. Like out of this world good.
Another delicious thing I made on my birthday was this banana bread. With swirls of cinnamon and sugar throughout this bread it’ll make you think you’re eating a dessert! I love all kinds of banana bread, but this one is definitely one of my favorites.
- 3 over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Butter and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix the mashed bananas, melted butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla together.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda and salt. Gently add the flour mixture to the banana mixture, until just combined (be careful not to over-mix!).
- In a small dish, mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the swirl.
- Add 1/2 of the batter to the prepared loaf pan and then sprinkle half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture all over the batter in the pan. Add the rest of the batter, and then sprinkle the leftover cinnamon-sugar on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from Lovin' From the Oven
Store bread wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in the refrigerator (covered) for up to 5 days.