Since fall has decided to poke it’s head into my life, many of my favorite fruits have been disappearing from the grocery store. This past visit to the store, I noticed that many of the cherries were still big and plump, and I wanted to do one last big HECKYEAHILOVECHERRIES bake off.

I decided to make something easy. Something I could throw together in no time and have ready for dessert that same night. Something I didn’t have to worry too much about too much – a tart!

This tart is sweet and delicious, with a thin and flaky crust. I think it was supposed to serve 6 people, but the boy and I devoured this baby in 2 sittings. Hope you like it!

To make this roll your dough out onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, into a 14 inch circle. Transfer the parchment and dough onto a baking sheet. Mix together filling ingredients until evenly coated.

Pour onto the centre of the tart and spread out to within 2 inches of the edge.

Fold up the edges to keep the filling snuggly inside. Brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 375ºF for 1 hour, or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving. Enjoy!

Rustic Cherry Tart
Serves 6-8
Recipe taken from Kitchen Simplicity

Ingredients:
1 recipe for homemade pie dough or refrigerated pie dough (I use The Pioneer Woman’s recipe)

Cherry Filling:
1 pound (3 cups) sweet cherries, halved and pitted
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

To Finish:
egg wash (1 egg white + 1 teaspoon water, whisked together)
1/2 tablespoon sugar

Directions:
Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, into a 14 inch circle. Transfer the parchment and dough onto a baking sheet.

Mix together filling ingredients until evenly coated. Pour onto the centre of the tart and spread out to within 2 inches of the edge. Fold up the edges to keep the filling snuggly inside.

Brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.

34 Responses to Rustic Cherry Tart

1. ecavalla says:

Love the pie dough around the edges!!

2. Cherries and tarts are a match made in heaven, yours looks amazing!

3. Gorgeous and homey, the perfect combination!

One of my coworkers brought in some cherries last week and I was amazed that they were still so tasty! I think I need to get in one more baked good with them also before the season is over. Gorgeous tart!

5. This is beautiful! Cherries make me happy and I’m seriously depressed by how few I ate this year…

Sues

6. Tracey says:

I absolutely adore this kind of simple, rustic dessert. I don’t blame you guys for devouring it so quickly, I would have done the same!

7. Beautiful! This is a great way to use the last of the summer fruits!

8. ohsweetbasil says:

This is gorgeous! I absolutely love it! Your crust looks perfect too.

9. This tart looks so beautiful! I can only imagine how delicious it is, bursting with all of those juicy cherries!

10. Yes! I’m happy to see a bit more cherry before fall completely takes over all of our blogs. =) this looks amazing!

11. This is so beautiful! I’ll have to see if I can still get my hands on some cherries…!

12. Your tart looks very yummy.I would like to bake one some day, but I think that I will try it with blueberries instead of cherries.

13. Rustic is my favorite kind of tart. Love this. How perfect for the end of summer. Yum!

14. I have such a soft spot for cherries especially in rustic desserts like this!

Easy and beautiful and just brimming with those beautiful red fruits. Thank you for sharing and for making my morning a little brighter and sweeter.

16. Jorie says:

UMMMM this looks so yummy. Rustic is the perfect description. Now I’m drooling at my keyboard. (Also, we have the same WP theme, and I never come across anyone with the same theme ;) )

17. I have some NW cherries on their way to me right now. I can’t wait to try this!

18. I never think to bake with cherries – this looks incredible!

19. What an absolutely beautiful dessert! My parents used to have a cherry tree but it hasn’t really produced cherries in the past couple years and I miss them so much! They would be perfect for this recipe!

20. Kiran says:

Love a rustic homemade tart! That looks sinfully delicious :)

21. ekwee says:

This looks so beautiful and delicious! Cherries used to be one of my least favorite fruits to bake with but now that they’re one of my faves, I will have to make this!

22. ohladycakes says:

Welllllll, I really wish I had seen this when cherries were still available at the farmer’s market. Until next year.. *sigh*

23. This pie just made my mouth water. Cherry pie is my favorite of all the fruit pies :)

24. Eliana says:

Can’t think of a better way to celebrate this wonderful fruit. Looks so homey and delicious.

25. Leah says:

Looks delicious! I wonder how it would taste with white cherries? (those are my personal favorite)

26. I love cherries and this galette (French name for free-form pie) looks amazing! I’m not sure how this tart could feed 6-8 either … seems better when shared just between two :-)

27. This looks delicious! Think it would still measure up using frozen, thawed cherries? Would love to make one soon.

28. […] Recipe from Warm Vanilla Sugar. 3.2.2708 […]