This weekend the boy and I rented a canoe, put it on a lake, pitched our tent and said BYE to technology.

We spent the days reading, canoeing on the lake, making s’mores, and loon hunting, and boooooy was it nice! During the week I sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed with all the things that need to get done, and I realized something this weekend: HALF of these Ā “important” things aren’t important at all. In fact, no one would even notice if I didn’t do them.

I don’t NEED to do my laundry
I don’t NEED to make a meal plan for the next month
and I certainly don’t NEED to read food blogs for 2 hours a day (although I love it).

So here we are. Back to basics. And with that thought I’d share with you an old and simple favorite of mine. Cornbread, baby. And it’s so easy to make!

This recipe is made with buttermilk and honey for a tiny twist on the classic recipe. I truly love it and hope you do too!

Slathering warm muffins with butter is a must šŸ™‚

Honey Cornbread Muffins

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 12 muffins

• 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup liquid honey
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp Kosher salt

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray (or line with cupcake liners) and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and honey together. Add in the cooled melted butter and whisk until combined and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, both sugars and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and fold the dry into the wet until just combined.
  4. Fill each muffin cup about three quarters full. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes and enjoy.

Recipe adapted from Baked Explorations

24 Responses to Honey Cornbread Muffins

1. Eileen says:

That sounds like an amazing weekend, and those certainly sound like amazing muffins too! I haven’t been camping in way too long–thanks for the kick in the pants! šŸ™‚

2. Suzan Flynn says:

can you use something else if you don’t have buttermilk ?

• For sure! To make 1 cup of buttermilk place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a 1 cup liquid measuring cup. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line. Let stand for five minutes and voila!

3. I haven’t had a good corn muffin in a long time. Love the addition of honey! These sound perfect.

4. Kathryn says:

I think it’s really important to take time away from technology and chores and life every now and then to really recharge the batteries and re-discover your priorities. Delicious looking muffins too!

5. I am such a big fan of corn moffins, every time I bake a pan, I keep having a muffin with each meal! Love the honey addition in these!

6. Brandon says:

I LOVE butter on warm corn muffins! …that photo of the butter on the muffin is teasing me and doing a great job convincing me to try your recipe.

7. Jenny @ BAKE says:

your trip sounds like absolute heaven! you must feel so relaxed after taking a little break from ‘adult’ life. your muffins look delicious!

8. Erin says:

These look yummy! I love that they have honey in them.
    And it sounds like you had a great vacation–it’s always great when we are able to get a good perspective on our busyness.

I may or may not be on vacation and still blogging. No comment. But it is nice to take a much deserved break every once in awhile! I love all things corn. Especially muffins! These look great.

10. what’s loon hunting?
    your vacation sounds lovely, i am picturing idyllic days on the water and cozy evenings chowing on smores. i’m so jealous.

11. Love cornbread muffins! These look delicious!

12. My husband absolutely LOVES corn muffins. I have to make these!

Back to the basics…we all need this, time to time. These muffins look perfect (especially since I just bought a bag of cornmeal). Thank you for sharing!

14. JulieD says:

Looks great! I love that these have honey in them, love love corn muffins with a little sweetness in them!

15. Yay, posting via Twitter is back! These muffins look lovely, and it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. I keep trying to remind myself not to get caught up all the things I think NEED to get done all the time, too…stepping back and savoring the moment is so important!

16. I love corn muffins, and this one sounds like a great one! I’ll have to whip these up soon. šŸ™‚

17. Eliana says:

Honey corn muffins are the best! I have made this recipe from the same book and love how simple and delicious they turn out. Yours look perfect!

18. I love the idea of an unplugged, back to basics weekend. And a classic corn muffin! Yum!

19. […] like to eat cornbread a few different ways. I like it sweet with some butter and honey and I like it savory (also with butter). But I also like it in pancake […]