This summer has so far been deemed the “summer of lists”. I’ve been making lists like mad and crossing things off with determination. It makes sense. I have two jobs, am taking a summer course, and am marathon training, so this woman needs to get things done!

Two lists that I’ve shared with you on the blog are my 30 things to do before 30 list (which is coming along nicely) and my summer bucket list. I have 5 things on my summer bucket list to do and I’m going to share one of those things with you right meow now!

Item #1 – Picking strawberries and making homemade jam. I love everything about this.

I still need to make homemade dill pickles, go to a drive in movie theatre, and cross two things off of my 30 things to do before 30 list, but there is still time. And I’m determined!

To make this jam, place the strawberries in a food processor or blender and blend until coarsely chopped.

Pour into a medium pot and stir in the lemon juice.

Add vanilla bean.

Add sugar and pectin and stir thoroughly. Cook mixture over medium high heat until it comes to a full rolling boil. Turn the heat down to low and continue cooking until the jam is slightly thickened.

This fresh strawberry jam has a slight hint of vanilla throughout and has a beautiful spreadable consistency. It’s my favorite in morning smoothies or on a cinnamon raisin bagel. Enjoy!

Strawberry Vanilla Fridge Jam
Recipe adapted from Cheeky Kitchen
Makes enough for six small jam jars

Ingredients:
3 pints of strawberries, washed and hulled
Juice of 1 lemon
Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
4 cups sugar
4 tbsp powdered fruit pectin (I used Certo brand)

Directions:
Place the strawberries in a food processor or blender and blend until coarsely chopped. Pour into a medium pot and stir in the lemon juice, vanilla bean, sugar, and pectin thoroughly. Cook mixture over medium high heat until it comes to a full rolling boil. Turn the heat down to low and continue cooking until the jam is slightly thickened. Remove from the stove and allow the jam to cool slightly before pouring into glass containers.

Note: Will store in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.

23 Responses to Strawberry Vanilla Fridge Jam

1. Kathryn says:

This sounds really lovely, I can imagine it makes a perfect breakfast!

2. Mary says:

Well I’m so glad this was on the list! fantastic jam – just love the flavor :))

I have been oh so afraid of making jam because of the canning process but perhaps fridge jam I could do. This looks majorly delicious and yay for crossing an item off your list! That always feels so satisfying.

Which marathon are you training for?? (I’m sure you’ve told me but I have no memory cells, apparently)

4. Eileen says:

Ooh, strawberries and vanilla sound like a perfect combination! I could see eating big spoonfuls of this over pancakes or waffles–mmm…

5. I love homemade jam but I never make it. It never gets to the bread/scones/etc. I eat it all with a spoon! I know I’d certainly eat all of this!

6. Sugar Loco says:

WOW! That looks so good and so easy too!

7. seetastelove says:

That sounds soo good, I hope you enjoy it. I am going to be making blackberry jam this weekend to cross it off my list, but I will have to give this a try sometime.

8. Congratulations on making and marking off from your list! I keep meaning to make a summer ”bucket list” but keep forgetting to.. maybe I need to put making a to-do list on my to-do list? Har har.

9. Jenny @ BAKE says:

I love the colour of this jam! it looks so tasty!

10. I love the idea of adding vanilla bean!

11. This sounds awesome and looks so pretty! I have never made jam before….yours looks great!

12. Homemade strawberry jam is so delicious! Adding lemon juice brings such yummy notes to its flavor!

13. Ashley Bee says:

Ohhh! I need to make my own jam, but I keep getting scared of the whole jarring process. This would be a good first step I think!

14. JulieD says:

love, love this…to add vanilla to a strawberry jam, yum!

15. I love strawberry jam, my granparents have a lot of strawberries in their garden, and me and my grandma always make jam with whole strawberries! So sweet and delicious!

16. Oh yum! This jam looks amazing, I can just imagine how good it tastes. :)

17. Aggie says:

This looks awesome! And easy enough too. I haven’t made refrigerator jam before.

18. deandraayu says:

They look amazing as homemade gift too! thanks for the inspiration!

19. Eliana says:

I need to get over my jam making fears and get to making some. This one looks amazing Katrina.

20. Leslie says:

This looks yummy. And by the way, your photos just keep getting better and better. My favourite on this blog is the one of the pint of strawberries, with the focus on the top ones, then gradually going out of focus. NICE.

21. I love combination of vanilla and strawberries :).