I’m going a bit crazy. In three days I’m running in the Ottawa marathon and have been relaxing my muscles this week by cutting my weekly running miles in half.

*sigh*…oh, the classic taper week. The week that all runners love to hate.

To clear their heads, some people have a therapist, some people are just plain angry, some people eat a lot of cake…and I run. It makes me feel strong and happy and free all at the same time. So naturally, a taper week (less running) doesn’t allow me to do that. It’s torturous!

During this week my boyfriend just happens to be on a fishing trip up north, so without him to keep me busy I’ve been visiting with friends every day, going for long walks and bike rides, doing the short runs I’m allowed, and making so, so, many salads and dips. With this hot weather, they carry me over so I don’t have to turn on the oven too much or do too many dishes. It’s a win-win situation really. Plus, dips and salads are healthy!

To make this roasted garlic hummus (the best hummus), start by roasting a head of garlic. Preheat your oven to 375°F. Cut off the very top of the garlic clove (about 1/4″) so that the tops of most of the cloves are exposed slightly. Coat with a little olive oil and wrap securely in tin foil. Roast garlic in oven for 1 hour.

Remove from foil and allow the garlic to cool.

Using your fingers, squeeze the soft, roasted garlic out of each clove into food processor (this is easily done when the garlic has cooled completely). Set aside 3 garlic cloves for later use. Rinse and drain chickpeas. Add them, and all other ingredients except olive oil and the 3 roasted garlic cloves you set aside, to the food processor and blend until completely smooth.

Scrape ingredients off the sides of your food processor to make sure it blends evenly. Finally add one tablespoon of olive oil at a time until you have reached the desired consistency. Add it very slowly, allowing the mixture to combine fully before adding more liquid. For a tasty garnish, mince the 3 roasted garlic cloves you set aside and toss in a tiny bit of olive oil and place on top of hummus.

Enjoy!

Roasted Garlic Hummus
Recipe taken from The Novice Chef

Ingredients:
2 cups canned chick-peas or cooked chickpeas
3 tablespoons tahini
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup warm water
1 extra large head of garlic
1 lemon, juice of
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°F Cut off the very top of the garlic clove (about 1/4″) so that the tops of most of the cloves are exposed slightly. Coat with a little olive oil and wrap securely in tin foil. Roast garlic in oven for 1 hour. Remove and allow cool.

Scrape ingredients off sides of food processor to make sure it blends evenly. Finally add a tablespoon of olive oil at a time until you have reached the desired consistency. Add it very slowly, allowing the mixture to combine fully before adding more liquid. For a tasty garnish, mince the 3 roasted garlic cloves you set aside and toss in a tiny bit of olive oil and place on top of hummus.

Serve at room temperature with pita, crackers, or veggies. Also you can add it as a condiment to a wrap! Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week.

26 Responses to Roasted Garlic Hummus

1. Ooooh I loooveee hummus. Can’t wait to try this out, yum!!! :)

2. Lauren says:

Hummus has been on my to-do list ever since I ruined it the last time I tried to make it. Your recipe sounds much simpler than the one I had–should have been a clue right there!

3. Kathryn says:

This hummus sounds incredible – a very good use of your taper week!

4. Monique says:

Oh my god! This looks like the perfect condiment to go with the grilled chicken I have sitting in my fridge. Nom nOm NOM it’s eatin’ time!

5. love the addition of roasted garlic! can’t wait to try this!

6. I love roasted garlic! This hummus looks perfect. Yum.

7. 2 of my favorite things…mmmm I could eat a small bowl of that right this instant 8)

8. Villy says:

I adore hummus, and this garlic looks like a treat! Yum!

9. I agree roasted garlic hummus is the best!! Good luck on your race!

10. Bee says:

I’ve never roasted garlic. How weird is that? I love homemade hummus though, so I think I will need to try this ASAP :)

11. Hummus has to be my all time favorite thing on this planet! I like the roasted garlic twist to it! I can’t wait to try it out!! Looks incredible.

12. Roasted garlic hummus is something I always seem to pick up at the grocery store (and it certainly isn’t cheap). I’ve never made my own hummus, but this recipe looks so easy to make!

13. love hummus

happy Sunday

14. Hi I have just dicovered your beautiful blog! I think I will take a look around :)
    I love anything with roast garlic so this hummus is a winner for me!

You must have run already but I hope it was an awesome race and I want to hear ALL about it!!! Ugh taper week. I know about that awfulness all too well. This dip looks like the perfect distraction.

16. hope the marathon went wonderfully yesterday – i’m sure you rocked it. =) this is the third hummus post i’ve read today – clearly the universe is telling me I need to either buy or make some hummus ASAP … and i agree. =) yours looks fab!

17. I run to calm down too…my husband thinks I’m nuts but it totally works for me. I hope your marathon went well :) And love your hummus!

18. Erin says:

This looks lovely! Roasted garlic has such a great flavor. :)

19. Roasted garlic makes everything delicious! Yum.

20. Deborah says:

I seriously may have to make some of this up today. It looks amazing!

21. [...] on to guacamole. Tied with hummus, it’s my favorite summer dip. I have a favorite recipe for guacamole that I made a while ago, [...]

22. [...] Swiss Cheese Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with Crispy Potato Crust Eggplant Marinara Flatbread Roasted Garlic Hummus Huevos Rancheros [...]