Two slices of thick cheddar bread sandwiching cheddar cheese and caramelized apples. HELLO!

Unlike a lot of bloggers I follow, I tend to stick to the regular grilled cheese recipe. Bread+butter+cheddar=heaven. It’s a simple recipe. One we all know and love. But then my world changed. I added caramelized apples to the mix. Awesome.

I was recently bombarded with apples. My boyfriends parents invited us to come for the weekend and just as we were getting ready for bed we noticed our bed sheets were lumpy….we opened the covers and there they were!! About 70 apples on top of the sheets. Nice. So, needless to say I had a lot of apples to take home and use up in some way. And this is one of the ways those apples got made!

Eat up! I ate this with some awesome potato salad. Mmmmm.

Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Recipe slightly adapted from Closet Cooking
Makes 2 sandwiches

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 dash of cinnamon
2 apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
1/2 cup shredded good cheddar cheese
4 slices of good bread (I used cheddar bread)
2 tablespoon butter

Directions:
Get four slices of bread ready by buttering one side of each slice. Shred your cheese.

Peel and core your apples. Slice them into relatively thin slices.

Melt the butter in a non-stick pan. Add the sugar and cinnamon and cook until bubbly. Add the apples and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

Assemble sandwich by adding (to the non-buttered side of two slices of bread) cheese, apples, and a bit more cheese. Put the plain buttered bread on top of each cheese and apple mixture (buttered side out).

Grill until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.

25 Responses to Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese

1. D says:

Mmm these look delicious!

2. Zoe says:

All these basic ingredients…apple, bread, cheese and sugar look very yummy in this combination.

3. Wow, one of my favorite sandwiches is a grilled apple and brie, so I know I would love this.

4. I love putting apples in my grilled cheese, but carmelizing them first adds another layer of deliciousness. This looks wonderful!

5. Erin says:

Your bread alone looks goodl. And I could eat those caramelized apples by themselves too. And then you added a bunch of cheese and grilled it and I fell in love.

6. Asmita says:

I wish I could bite into that sandwich now! Looks irresistible!!!

7. That toasted sandwich looks amazing! A great combo.

Cheers,

Rosa

8. What a great idea for combining those ingredients. I love the idea of adding the sweetness of the apple. Bet it tastes lovely.

9. Eliana says:

I had a grilled cheese with granny smith apples recently at a restaurant that was to die for. This one looks just as delicious.

10. AikoVenus says:

This looks so lovely – my mum loves apples and cheese (with nacho cheese) but I prefer my (vegan) welsh rarebit. ^^ Yum!

11. I’ve never had the apple + cheese combination. Making this sandwich looks like it needs to happen soon! I love that you caramelized the apples first- clever!

12. Tracy says:

I’ve always loved the apple-cheddar combo, so this sandwich is right up my ally!

13. chameleonic says:

im full-on drooling just looking at this.

14. Tracey says:

I’ve been eating grilled cheese so much this winter, but I’ve never tried one with apples. It sounds awesome, I need to remember to give this a shot soon!

15. Mmm.. what a great combo with grilled cheese and apple — perfect wintery comfort 🙂

16. Deborah says:

I’m not usually an apples and cheese girl (I know, I’m crazy!) but this looks so good!!

Umm yeah. HELLO is right. This is an addiction waiting to happen.

18. Yummmm. This looks amazing!

19. Margarita says:

Love the step-by-step pictures! These look delish!

20. I love these kind of fun and different grilled cheese sandwiches.

21. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga says:

This is 100% my kinda grilled cheese…with a little bit of sweet and the cinnamon, Oh wow. I want to make this!

22. [email protected] Gohan says:

Hello! I just wanted to say this sandwich looks AWESOME!!! I will add apple to my grilled cheese sandwiches next time!

23. I love the combination of cheddar and apples together, what a creative idea for a kicked up grilled cheese. Beautiful site btw looking forward to seeing more of your posts!

24. I was looking for some snack inspiration and this is perfect! Literally off to make them in 3 minutes… thanks!

25. wow! this sandwich looks incredible. i’ve seen pears and brie cheese on grilled cheese before, but never the combo of apples and cheddar. looks divine!