With all this sunshine, I’m really feeling the need to eat something Springy and citrusy.

Sure, it’s hot outside, and my oven makes me a sweaty mess, but if I want something fresh in baked good form I need to bake! So, I chopped up some rhubarb.

Then I grabbed a bunch of lemons. And then I made these:

Yummy, fresh lemons tossed with raspberries and rhubarb in muffin form. I like these because they are light in your mouth and have a burst of tartness with the raspberries. They are sweet and low calorie too! My kind of muffin.

Now I have muffins for the week! Thank goodness.

Lemony Raspberry and Rhubarb Muffins

• 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (fresh or frozen) raspberries
  • 1/2 cup diced rhubarb

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners..
  2. Whisk together the flour, 2/3 cup of sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
  3. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the lemon zest. When melted, turn off the heat, and add the milk and yogurt. Let the mixture stand for a minute or two, and then pour the milk into a medium bowl. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla and until well blended.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour the milk mixture into the well and stir well with a rubber spatula. Mix until just combined. A few lumps scattered throughout are fine. Gently fold in the raspberries and the rhubarb.
  5. Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with sugar.
  6. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
  7. Transfer the muffin tin to a wire rack a let cool for 5 minutes. Then, remove the muffins from the tin and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Recipe adapted from Kitsch in the Kitchen

181 calories per muffin

21 Responses to Lemony Raspberry and Rhubarb Muffins

1. I love rhubarb and have been meaning to try my hand at rhubarb muffins, too. These look just fantastic :).

2. Nanny says:

Going shopping tomorrow….so lemons and raspberries will be on my list. I can taste these warm delicious muffins already.Wonder if splenda could replace the sugar.

3. Tracey says:

Oh yum, I just made some rhubarb muffins recently too and absolutely loved them. I definitely need to try your recipe soon, they look fantastic!

4. Your recipe just might make me want to try rhubarb. I’ve been rather resistant to the thought of using it in baked goods!! The whole “red celery” thing has me a little freaked out!!

5. Kathleen says:

Wow these look delicious!

6. Deborah says:

I see strawberry with rhubarb quite often, but never raspberry! These look amazing!

7. Tracy says:

These muffins are so summery! Love them!

8. Julia says:

MMMMM, I can just smell the lemon zest…

9. Alejandra says:

I’ve been craving muffins a lot lately. These look so lovely and sunny. Raspberry and Rhubarb have become my favorite combination so these are basically exactly what I want!

10. Katie says:

That looks like happiness in mini form. :)

11. I love the tartness of lemon in muffins…so worth the heat of the oven :)

12. Chef Dennis says:

you really came up with such a nice combination of flavors, the rhubarb was such a nice addition, they must have been delicious!

13. Rhubarb is just starting to show up in our market! We have had such a late summer. I love this combo and can’t wait to try it…

14. I love lemon anything, so these would go over well at my house!

15. Christina says:

These muffins look incredible! I have some rhubarb just sitting in my fridge waiting to be used…I think I found the recipe to use! 😀

16. Love rhubarb!! My mom used to grow it in our garden when I was a kid, every summer we had strawberry rhubarb pie, great memories!! xo

17. Erica Lea says:

These look scrumptious, Katrina! I love the addition of cinnamon – sounds lovely!

18. […] is such a delicious summer cake. Lemon and rhubarb were made for each […]